How the Principal got the idea
Linda still remembers conducting a DCAA audit on the cost proposal of a major Defense contractor while the auditee pleaded, “How are we supposed to support the costs?” The company did not intend fraud or overbilling. They just didn’t know The Government Way. The pre-established audit steps had budgeted hours. The steps authorized no time for training contractors on building an audit trail. The Contracting Officer disallowed big dollars for contract funding, based on that audit report. The auditee was a recently hired accountant. He had no GovCon experience or training. His executive management had no better grasp of adequate documentation.
Linda thought, “There’s a market for this.”
After DCAA employment, she helped Defense and other-agency federal government contractors from the other side of the negotiating table. She worked both as an employee and as a self-employed consultant. In 1999, Linda founded Mahnke Consulting.
Linda Mahnke, Principal
From drafting policies &
procedures, to developing
& presenting training,
Linda excels in compliance.
The company’s goal is to work each project so well, that we’re out of a job.
Previous clients request only occasional help or a new and different project. They understand the Government’s perspective, anticipate (occasionally perverse) GovCon rules, and sleep better at night. Linda serves as the Principal of this small business. She manages every project – from preparation for a DCAA audit to guidance for a FAR-compliant system of administrative operations.
On what project may Mahnke Consulting help you build an adequate audit trail?
Credentials of the Principal
- Bachelor of Science with a major in Accounting, Indiana University
- Master of Business Administration, Florida Institute of Technology
- 6 years employed as a DCAA auditor
- 6 years employed as a prime contractor Contract/Subcontract Administrator/Manager
- Over 3 years employed as an Auditor/Director in an Internal Audit Department
- More than 20 years as a management consultant to clients in the GovCon market
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Project Management Institute
- American Women’s Society of Certified Public Accountants
Past Chapter Board Member:
- Treasurer, National Association of Women Business Owners
- Hospitality Chair, Treasurer and Webmaster, National Contract Management Association
- Treasurer, Institute of Management Accountants
- President, National Contract Management Association
- Overview of an Approved Accounting System, breakfast workshop for the Suncoast Chapter of NCMA
- Reporting Executive Compensation and First-tier Subcontract Awards, breakfast workshop for the Suncoast Chapter of NCMA
- Financial Analysis of Program Costs, dinner meeting seminar for the Suncoast Chapter of PMI
- Cost Accounting Standards, dinner meeting seminar for the Suncoast Chapter of NCMA